Re: RARA-AVIS: Fredric Brown

Bleed272@aol.com
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:07:40 EST

MT:

> I consider Fredric Brown to be one of the best in the
> business (of all time).

De-lurking to heartily agree. Brown is probably my favorite writer for the reasons you mention: he had a talent for combining the humorous and the dark, and was terrificially inventive. Most of his stories still shock and suprise, even 40 to 50 years later.

And it is a shame so many of the Dennis McMillian reprints are scarce and expensive. I've been trying to round up as many as I can, too.

I'd also add to the list: MARTIANS, GO HOME, which is probably one of the funniest sf satires ever, and KNOCK THREE ONE TWO, a white-knuckled novel you'll probably devour in one sitting. If you can find it, you should also look for CARNIVAL OF CRIME, a roundup of Brown's best mystery shorts, edited by Francis Nevins and Martin Greenberg, published by Southern Illinois University Press. Try local libraries.

Best,

Duane Swierczynski