RARA-AVIS: Country noir

Bruce Townley (btownley@sirius.com)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 07:52:08 -0800 (PST)

On: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 at 17:33 steve kesten sent: Country noir

>One truly grisly, hardboiled two hours of film is THE HITCHER made in
>the late Eighties. Terse, imaginitive, scary as hell. May be more
>terror than hardboiled, but soft it isn't.

A film that is a clear progenitor of THE HITCHER is Ida Lupino's THE HITCH-HIKER (1953). This spare, taught thriller features William Talman as the titular psycho wanderer. Most of the story is set in remote, sun-blasted stretches of desert. Even though its a mere 71 minutes long the film really delivers.

Bruce T. = btownley@sirius.com

"Sure I live bad. But at least I don't have to work at it."

-SLACKER