RARA-AVIS: New to the list; M.Phil dissertation ideas.

R.A. Newman (ran24@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:46:58 +0000 (GMT)

I'm a student at Cambridge, in the UK. I'm working on a dissertation about Chandler and Henry James in which I'm trying to link their respective attitudes to commodities and aristocracy, with reference to their experiences of expatration.

So far, I've been mainly looking at the way in which both writers deal with the base (money, property) and the ideal (romance, chivalry, the aesthetic).

Does anyone have any ideas I might pursue along these lines? Any help would be more than welcome. I think that what I'm after in my work is to treat Chandler seriously without being forced to defend his status. I'm hoping to put him in a tradition of American writing which doesn't diminish his pop. status, but which also holds back from ghettoising (is that a word?!) him.

Ray Newman.