Re: RARA-AVIS: Sensitive detectives

TERRILL LANKFORD (TOLANKFORD@webtv.net)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 12:04:27 -0800 (PST)

Speaking of the great Joe Lansdale, I just finished reading an early book of his, THE NIGHTRUNNERS, which is a slightly supernatural take on STRAW DOGS. Chilling stuff.

Now I'm reading his collection of short stories, BY BIZARRE HANDS. So far it is terrific.

Lansdale's work often has a "horror" angle to it, but after reading five or six of his books I've come to the conclusion that not only is he a
"contemporary hardboiled writer," he's one of the best. True, he's not content with just plumbing the genre's cliches, he seeks to bend and stretch the form. Points should not be deducted from his score for doing so.

No list of current HB writers should be considered complete without Lansdale's name on it.

TL