RARA-AVIS: Re: Missing pulp detectives

Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:47:56 -0400

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Bill Hagen wrote:

> > I checked every one against the name index in Private Eyes:101 Knights: A
> > Survey of American detective Fiction, 1922-1984 (Baker and Nietzel), &
> > didn't come up with anything close.

And Juri replied:

>Well, this is actually a relief: I needn't put any effort in reading
>those stories!

The thing is, Baker and Nietzel's book, while a real treat for P.I. fans, is pretty weak when it comes to pulp eyes, so it may not mean too much that they're not listed. It concentrates almost exclusively on P.I.s published in books.

It's a great book, mind you. It's just too bad there isn't something similar on pulp eyes. Ron Goulart's entertaining DIME DETECTIVES is a pretty good starting point, but it doesn't have any of the ones you listed. Does anyone know of a good reference source on detectives from the pulps?

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ IT'S OFFICIAL! November is still Dashiell Hammett Month. Don't play the sap for anyone.