RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled Authors of the 20th Century

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 20:36:11 -0800 (PST)

I hate lists giving a position to the nominees! But, on the other hand, some lists can be enlightening when genuine and by knowledgeable referees.

So why not to organize for a list of
*Hard-Boiled/Noir* authors elected by the Rara Avians, and widely publish the results?

PROPOSAL:

We could go under these lines: A.
 name 5 authors published originally in English you consider as the bests (no order!) in each of the 2 categories (total 10):

* 1920 to 1950
* 1951 to 1990

And two new-comers for the period:
* 1991 to 1999

Total: 12 names, maximum

(each period is related to the time span during which the author published his most famous books - as a convention it starts with Daly, and I think we have to keep periods as categories for the selection, to avoid too much of historical "angles" in some answers)

B. Name max. 5 authors originally published in another language (= not in English) you consider as your favorites amongst foreign HB/Noir

(no time frame here as it could be too confusing for the participants)

All answers collected by our Guardian, Bill Denton... acting as the controller, and let us say we have until 15 December 99 to send our lists.(?)

Results of this consultation could be issued here before 31 December (?)

BEWARE... THIS IS ONLY A PROPOSAL, BILL HAS TO AGREE WITH THIS, AND MAYBE A BETTER WAY TO EXPRESS THE CHOICES COULD BE ELABORATED BY DISCUSSING IT HERE.

I think it could be very interesting as the followers of this Mailing-List are really knowledgeable and/or at least enthusiast fans of this literature! Of course, the lurkers should de-lurk just this time and participate, in order to have a consistent number of answers.

Hope the R A List will find this interesting and workable.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

choose 5