RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V2 #965

Paul Duncan (paul.duncan@asml.nl)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:28:51 +0100

Juri:

> > The Big Sleep- has already too many remakes or
> > "inspired by..." films!!
>
> Why was it claimed that Coen brothers' "The Big Lebowski" was a remake
> of "The Big Sleep"? I heard or read this couple times, but everytime it
> seemed like nobody had read the novel or seen the film. Absolutely
> nothing to do with each other!

The Big Lebowski was influenced by The Long Goodbye, or more precisely Robert Altman's film of The Long Goodbye, scripted by Leigh Brackett, and starring Elliot Gould.

Another blatant promotion - the pocket essentials series is publishing a book on The Brothers Coen next February (along with Lynch, Welles and Allen). Hitchcock and Kubrick are already published. For more info: www.pocketessentials.com

- paul