RE: RARA-AVIS:Made In USA (was: French films etc)

Martha Fischer (sakana@netzero.net)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:04:40 -0600

the hirsch book (the dark side of the screen) is a solid, textbook-esque survey of film noir with an especially interesting chapter on the pulps, something i think most general film noir books overlook. i found it to be factually accurate, and it would be a good intro to the subject. if you're looking for in-depth analysis, etc, this probably isn't the place to go.

martha sakana@netzero.net <mailto:sakana@netzero.net>

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto:owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca]On Behalf Of Mark Sullivan Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 8:33 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS:Made In USA (was: French films etc)

Speaking of Neo-Noir, yesterday I ran across the book Detours and Lost Highways by Foster Hirsch. It looked interesting, is it any good? It also said he much earlier wrote the definitive history of Film Noir itself. I haven't read it -- is it that good or is the claim just the usual book jacket hyperbole?

Mark