RARA-AVIS: Alain Delon and French film Noir

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 02:42:46 -0800 (PST)

As some of the cinema buffs of this list seem to have their ways to find poorly distributed films in the USA, I could recommend to hunt for : L'Insoumis- 1964 by Alain Cavalier, with Delon as a "lost" French officer of the Algerian war. Griping, Noir and with real depth.
(No English title that I recall of- literally translated= The Untamed) This film did not get full recognition at the time, as it was banned by the French government.(I saw it in another country few years later)

Cavalier did also an adaptation of a Parker novel
( The Score- by Richard Stark) in 1967: Mise a Sac. Excellent and masterly crafted film, but more traditional by its subject. This very personal French director had a voluntarily interruption of approx 10 years of his film making, but resumed and still produces into the 90's. He's certainly one to remember from the New Wave!

Coming back to Melville, this forefather(and participant...) of the French New Wave, prominent Noir film maker, I could recommend: Le Deuxieme Souffle (Second Breath) that I always liked very much (after his tops like Le Samourai, and: Le Doulos). It carries a first class acting by Lino Ventura, besides a real Noir/HB subject taken from a French novel by Jose Giovanni ( one of the very best HB writers from that time in France).

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384