RARA-AVIS: Ellroy/Dick Contino

hugh (hugh@pinn.net)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:57:37 +0100

Not only was Dick Contino the "Rudoph Valentino of the accordion,"
(sigh) he made a movie. But the name of it escapes me. It was a late Fifties movie with fast cars. (Well,that narrows it down.) For some reason, the title "Daddy-O" sticks in my head, but I could well be wrong.

I didn't realize Hush-Hush was a real mag. Or rag. I thought it was an amalgamation of the various tattle-tale sheets of that time. Anyone got a copy of the real Hush-Hush?

Someone mentioned "Dick Contino's Blues." That was my first introduction to Ellroy, and I think it's one of his best short pieces. I found it in a back issue of Granta and got him to autograph it when it came to speak at the College of William and Mary, near my home.

If any of you haven't heard Ellroy read from his works, it's worth the time.

Hugh Lessig hardboiled newspapermen live at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/8002