Re: RARA-AVIS: le samourai and John Woo

Mark Gentry (markgentry@ij.net)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:40:01 -0500

> And "Bullet in the Head" is a direct rip-off, er homage, to The
Deerhunter.

> Brad

I would disagree with this, but since I only seen The Deerhunter once, many years ago, I might be wrong. But, I have watch Bullet in the Head serveral times and there is one scene that reminds me of Deerhunter but only one scene. I find the story of three young friends going to Vietnam, not as soliders, but just trying to make a buck, a fascinating look on how greed and the war affects their friendship. You could say the same about Deerhunter, how war affects friendship, but the difference here is they are not soliders, and it is greed that really affects them. I would also say that this one is my favorite John Woo film.

Thanks-Mark