Re: RARA-AVIS: Coup de Torchon

Bob Toomey (btoomey@javanet.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 01:26:02 -0500

> A friend wants me to go this weekend to see a revival of "Coup de
> Torchon" whichis supposed to be based on a Jim Thompson novel.
>
> What novel is this based on? Has anyone seen the flick? Is it worth
> seeing?

"Coup de Torchon' ("Clean Slate") is a 1981 French film directed by Betrand Tavernier, with a brillient performance by Phillippe Noiret in the lead. It's based on Jim Thompson's best novel, _Pop. 1280_, a very black comedy about a sheriff in a small dusty town somewhere in the southwest in the 1920's who's been doing fine by playing dumb until things start getting to him and his gears begin to strip. Tavernier does a marvelous job of transferring the scene to a small dusty town in French Equatorial Africa, retaining most of Thompson's plot and attitude in the process. It's the best film version of a Thompson novel, and a hell of a movie in its own right. Don't miss it.

BobT