RARA-AVIS: soft, hard, the industry

Mbdlevin@aol.com
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 01:18:53 EST

Etienne writes:

<< editors are biasing most of the "profile" of
 would-be success mysteries they tend to publish
 lately. >>

There has been some speculation about the lack of favor shown the hard-boiled in the publishing industry. Is this generally true in Europe/Canada as well as the U.S. (sorry if I offend in my placement of Canada)? A few things: in the U.S., there has been a lot of hue and cry lately (and always, I suppose) about morality and art (with Hollywood taking knocks, TV, etc.)...maybe this trickles down to publishing--particularly when, I think, a large market for hard-covered crime/mystery is libraries (someone correct me on this one). I wonder too if some hard-boiled sneaks through as "literary" thriller--depends on the house. I'm thinking of, say, Knopf doing "God is a Bullet" or Pantheon (?) doing "Miami Purity."

Doug