RARA-AVIS: Re:deaths of hard boiled writers.

Richard Feaster (richard@daheshmuseum.org)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:29:52 -0500

> On Sunday, Nov 7 Ron Clinton wrote:

> I seem to remember Charles Williams commiting suicide by jumping off his
> boat sometime in the late 60's or early 70's. Not "violent", I suppose,
but
> still not what you would call a "natural death."
>
> Ron C.

Has Williams' life (and death) ever been written about?

It's not altogether surprising that he killed himself in this manner since he often had characters in his books jumping off of boats (see THE SAILCLOTH SHROUD, SCORPION REEF or DEAD CALM). He wrote with great eloquence about this, in fact, and seems to have been fascinated with images of bodies submerging into the crushing depths of the sea. Pretty intense stuff, especially when read with the knowledge of his own suicide.

Best,

Richard richard@daheshmuseum.org