Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled vs. soft

a.n.smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:51:42 -0600

> It's interesting to note that there is no similar approach to describe
> the character's personality in so called serious literature. Why should
> an HB novel be different? I think persons should and could be described
> without all the irrevelant gimmicks that have nothing to do with the
> plot itself!

I think you're right about gimmicks, but I like characters to stretch beyond the plot. After all, the crime plot is mostly (very general statement ahead!) "Somebody's dead. Let's find the killer." But you are absolutely right about this not being such a big deal in serious lit. When arguments are made for strict HB PI character guidelines, it puffs up that old notion that this is all formula, eh?

NS