Re: RARA-AVIS: Fashion Rules!

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:43:08 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

> Juri Nummelin wrote that "A P.I. must wear a suit." I had no idea.
> Are there any other style tips I should be aware of? I'd hate to make
> a fashion faux pas in my fiction. Wingtips or loafers?

It's just my opinion. And it probably has something to do with the fact that the whole P.I. scene is dated. Almost all the recent attempts to revive it are doomed - it might be the required soft boiled attitude to blame, but I haven't found anything worthwhile in the P.I. scene for years. Ellroy, Lansdale and some other guys don't write about P.I's in the way that Chandler and other fellows (lament for Howard Browne, whom I haven't had a chance to read yet) did. Chandler & Co. dominate the scene so much that I think a P.I. must wear a suit. And every time I pick up a new P.I. novel I think the P.I. wears a suit and then he says:
"I put on my new Reeboks and Levi's 501's and left." And then I go:
"Aaaargh!"

Juri jurnum@utu.fi