Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled vs. soft

Doug Bassett (dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:36:20 -0800 (PST)

I agree, the Atlantic piece is great. Personally, though, I've always blamed the "sensitive" PI trend on two authors: Robert Parker (with all of that "what it means to be a man and still have a committed relationship" stuff), and, I hate to say it because I really admire his writing generally, Lawrence Block. I think it's undeniable that his Matthew Scudder series has taken a nose-dive in quality ever since Scudder got sober and domesticated.

I've been reading alot of Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm series recently. Can you imagine Helm getting touchy-feely? About anything?

Later, Doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com