Re: RARA-AVIS: Man With Getaway Face

William Denton (buff@pobox.com)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:26:17 -0500 (EST)

On 1 November 1999, a.n.smith wrote:

: I'm really excited to start talking about the Parker book, because I
: discovered the series late--when Comeback was published--and caught up
: quickly.

I think I first heard about them here on the list, and have read about four since then (including _The Man With the Getaway Face_). I'd buy more but the trade paperback editions are way overpriced, and used copies are hard to find.

I agree with you on all points. This month's selection is an excellent book. I liked that the punchy guy wasn't a pug but had taken beatings by goons and strikebreakers back in the day; that was a nice touch.

Parker, like Matt Helm, may be a tough, cold-blooded, murderous bastard, but you can't help but admire them for their stubbornness and professionalism, and admire their creators for their style. There's a recent article up on Salon [1] that discusses Sara Paretsky and Sue Grafton (!) as hardboiled writers. Compare them to Stark!

[1] http://www.salon.com/books/feature/1999/10/29/mysteries/print.html

Bill