RARA-AVIS: Re: Lesbians out to lunch

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 07:32:42 -0400

Mario asked

>Didn't Patricia Highsmith write a pseudonymous novel
>with a lesbian theme in the fifties? I vaguely recall
>some discussion of this, way back when, but not the
>title or whether it was ever reissued (I've never seen
>it).

Yep, and in the new book STRANGE SISTERS: THE ART OF LESBIAN PULP FICTION, by Jaye Zimet, which features a couple of hundred mostly cheesy cover shots of lesbloitation paperbacks, novels by crime writers Lawrence Block, Mike Avallone and Donald Westlake, as well as sci-fi/fantasy types Robert Silverberg and Marion Zimmer Bradley, are also featured. They were all published under pseudonyms, of course.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ Still available! Our Summer Issue, focussing on Radio Private Eyes, plus new fiction by Peter Parmantie and Kathy Korty.