RE: RARA-AVIS: Spillane

Pat Zeitoun (pwz@tca.net)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:48:39 -0500

I really enjoyed your comments on Spillane even if you have never to made it through one of his novels. He is certainly not one of my favorites - I don't want to cuddle up on a rainy afternoon with one of his novels either. However, everything you said, and your professor said is true - about Spillane and the times. I speak from experience - I was there, and Spillane accurately represents not the reality but the imagined values of the 50's.

Sure he's "kinda boring" to someone reading him with a 90s mind set. But to those of us growing up in those days, he was "hot"!

Cheers, PatZ pwz@tca.net