RE: RARA-AVIS: Spillane

Tyler, Tom (Ttyle@herrick.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:20:42 -0400

Two things to remember about Spillane:

        - He enjoyed his greatest success just after the war and during the McCarthy era, which I think accounts for his attitudes. He was writing for returning GI's who didn't have TV to look at yet, and he was writing for people whipped up about commies. He wasn't writing for a late 90's crowd, and I doubt he was writing with the idea his books would even be around after a couple of years.

        - He became a devout Jehovah's Witness sometime during the 50's, which accounts for the Me vs the freaks attitude in some of his work, and also might point toward the existence of pre-conversion personal conflicts which show up in his early writing.