Re: RARA-AVIS: Small Vices airing July 18 on A&E.

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:51:44 -0700 (PDT)

I do not want to start a boring thread about"who do you see as actor to impersonate ()....() " but Mantegna as Spenser (the one with a s, from the ex-good Robert Parker's novels series) somebody must be joking!!!

Anyway, the actor that was doing Spenser all along the earlier episodes of the TV series was as miscasted... so it's just a continuation. And the TV series films were (IMO) as weak and unconvincing.

But don't misunderstand me, Mantegna even with his ups and downs can be a top actor. Just check out Homicide'(1991), a brilliant and insidious film, Noir and really existentialist, hold together by the first class acting of Mantegna.
(I speak of a *movie*, not of a TV serial with same name).

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

---FICTWRI@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone heard about this???
>
> Actor Joe Mantegna will be playing Robert Parker's
Spenser in Small Vices
> airing July 18 on A&E. When Spenser is hired to
clear a man falsely convicted
> of murder, he finds himself the target of a top hit
man. Robert Parker, the
> best-selling mystery author, adapts this murder
mystery from his own novel,
> the 24th in the popular "Spenser" series. Joe
Mantegna and Marcia Gay Harden