Re: RARA-AVIS: The Readings

EJM Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 03:10:51 -0800 james.doherty@gsa.gov wrote:

> In the UK, there was a hardback Chandler short story collection called
> *The Smell of Fear*. It contains all (or most) of the short stories
> in *TSAM*, plus "The Pencil" (the last Marlowe short story). The main
> difference are that in four of the stories ("Finger Man," "Red Wind,"
> "Goldfish," and "Trouble Is My Business") the main character is named
> Philip Marlowe in *TSAM* and is called by the original pulp magazine
> names of either Caromody or John Dalmas in *The Smell of Fear*.

The naming/renaming issue came a while ago, when we were discussing 'Red
Wind'.
It was a bit jarring to find some contributors to the discussion were
talking about 'Marlowe' while others were referring to 'Dalmas'. I
think -- though I may be misremembering -- that the US/Canadian stories
had renamed the Dalmas character as Marlowe while UK editions did not.
The point was also made that, whatever the character was called, it was
always the same one: the point derives, I think, from Philip Durham's
study, _Down These Mean Streets A Man Must Go_

ED