Re: RARA-AVIS: The Readings

EJM Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Mon, 07 Dec 1998 11:32:04 -0800 On Mon, 07 Dec 1998, David Lane <dalane@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> On 07 Dec, William Denton <buff@vex.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, William Denton wrote:
>
> > : 01 Dec 1998 - _The Simple Art of Murder_, Raymond Chandler

Pedantically, I'd like to point out that this should be "The Simple Art
of Murder", which is the title of Chandler's essay on crime fiction.

UK readers will find it included in [bugger! everything's in boxes 'cos
we're moving rooms around] I *think* it's _Pearls Are A Nuisance_

There is a short story collection entitled _The Simple Art of Murder_
but I'm not sure that the essay is included in it.

(A look at the Chandler bibliography on the r-a site, or a couple of
clicks at amazon.co.uk should clear up any doubts).

> I keep meaning to ask. What is the significance of the date on the reading
> list?

I think it's the start of the month when a story/novel is particularly
*on topic*.
AFAIK there aren't any hard & fast embargoes before or after a date, but
I may be mistaken or just too laid back.

ED