RARA-AVIS: Eric Ambler dies

Fred Willard (fwillard@bellsouth.net)
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:38:02 -0500 From: Peter Walker <pw@pw.cablenet.co.uk>
To: rara-avis@icomm.ca
Date sent: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 15:45:51 +0000
Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Eric Ambler dies
Send reply to: rara-avis@icomm.ca

> Re
> News reports came in last night that Eric Ambler died.
>
> I think we should honour the great man by putting his best - "The
> Mask of Damitrios" - on the reading list. There was a full tribute to
> him at 'Dead on Deansgate' (of which more later) and I think it would
> be fitting. Incidently "Mask...." was the inspitation for "The Usual
> Suspects" which - for UK people - is on Channnel 4 on Sun 1st Nov as
> part of their excellent Film on Four month.

There is an interesting obituary for Eric Ambler in the New York
Times. I assume it's on their website. I think it does an excellent
job of discussing his work and his contribution to elevating the
literary quality of the thriller.

It reminded me of how much I enjoyed his ordinary characters as
he placed them in extraordinary circumstances.

Fred

Please note new addresses below: