Re: RARA-AVIS: Farewell, My Lovely

Danny Paikov (paikov@innocent.com)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 00:05:52 +0200 (IST) On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, James Rogers wrote:

> >This is a potentially stupid question.
> >A few days ago someone mentioned that Chandler did a very graceless parody
> >(?) of Hemingway in "Farewell, My Lovely". Now, I never read a word by
> >Hemingway, although I always meant to, but I did read Farewell. What
> >exactly was the Hemingway reference?
>
> As I recall, Marlowe refers to one of the corrupt cops as Hemingway.
> His partner asks what a Hemingway is. Marlowe says, "it's someone who keeps
> repeating the same thing over and over until you finally start to believe
> it's clever". Or words to that effect.

Bwah. I can't believe I missed it while actually reading the thing.
I guess now I have to start catching up on my Hemingway. At least it's not
as hard to find in these parts as practically any piece of noir fiction.
Oh, well.

---
No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity.
But I know none, and therefore am no beast.
                     -- Richard III