Re: RARA-AVIS: Hi and P.L.

Robert E. Skinner (rskinner@mail.xula.edu)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:19:44 -0500 ANONYMEINC@webtv.net wrote:

> It's been quite a while since I've read it, but I thought The
> Zoot-Suit Murders by Thomas Sanchez was a pretty good book on, surprisingly enough, the zoot suit riots. The riot scenes in particular were well-written, recalling the end of West's Day of the Locusts, evoking that feeling of getting lost in an event, as characters get a very small piece of the bigger picture, in fact not even being aware at the time that there is a bigger picture. >

I like the Zoot-Suit Riots, too. It's kind of a "revisionist"
hard-boiled story because the detective,

POTENTIAL SPOILER

Nathan Younger, is so wishy-washy and inept. The way he's sucked in by
the femme-fatale, however, is wonderful. Not since out of the past has
a detective been so totally undermined and destroyed by a sexy woman's
wiles.

--
Robert E. Skinner, Director