Re: RARA-AVIS: Oates and Cain

Fred Willard (fwillard@bellsouth.net)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:42:08 -0400 Date sent: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:11:02 -0700
From: Jay Gertzman <jgertzma@epix.net>

<Snip from thoughtful look at Oates on Cain>
> Ironically, Madden dedicates the book to Cain, "twenty minute egg
> of the hard-boiled writers." I say ironically, because if Madden admired
> Cain, Oates seems to despise him--or to be more exact, she showers
> contempt on those who like him. She says he is vulgar and sleazy,
> appealing to a readership with shallow and "perverse" desire for social
> justice. These readers demand the death of the hero whose violence they
> have vicariously enjoyed--
<snip>

Well, I, for one, am proud to be shallow and perverse.

Seriously -- almost seriously -- this moral ambiguity, which she
finds so repellent, is one of the elements of our culture which I
think HB literature can deal with very well.

Our view of violence embraces the same matrix of fear and
fascination as does our view of death.

We both abhor violence, romanticize it, condemn it in others and
use it to further or own goals. (Sometimes all at once).

Fred

Please note new addresses below: