Re: RARA-AVIS: "Maltese Falcon" and "The Big Sleep" (

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:28:41 -0500 (CDT) >
> Recently Kimberly wrote:
> Why is it that these two men [Spade & Marlowe] are so different if they
>follow the same "code"?

I am late coming to this discussion, but I must say that I have
never found a lot of resemblence between Chandler and Hammett. Chandler was
in large part responsible for my early infatuation with the "genre" and I
will always love his books. But having said that I must acknowledge that, by
almost any standard, Hammett is the superior writer.
The streak of self-pity that Ellroy (and me, sometimes, too) remarks
on in PI books is pretty absent in Hammett....about the closest you get is
Spade's shudder of revulsion at the approach of Archer's wife at the end of
_Falcon_. Compared to this Hemingway is a sentimmental putz in all but his
best stories.
The only real similarity between Hammett's detectives and gangsters
and Marlowe would seem to be the willingness to sacrifice their personal
happiness and comfort for their own peculiar ideas of honor.

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net
Mundus Vult Decipi