Re: RARA-AVIS: Tucker Coe (was...Marshmallows of the world unite

K. Harper (kharper@bgnet.bgsu.edu)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:19:21 -0500 Peter Walker wrote:

>Do you think there are a lot of similiararites (heel of a word, that)
>with the early Tucker and the early Scudder? Both are 'disgraced' ex-cops
>turning to PI work to try to resolve something. Both have the same
>'feel' and settings. Westlake and Block were mates so maybe they hit on
>the idea over a drink and let it run. Just a thought.

I've often thought the same thing, and would love to ask the authors about
it. (Larry? Are you lurking?)

The two characters' closest parallel is their need to purge themselves of
guilt for an innocent's death. Tobin does it through back-breaking
physical labor (building a useless wall in his backyard), while Scudder
drops a tithe of his case payment in the nearest church poor-box. That
guilt is missing from the more recent Scudders, and is one of several
reasons I prefer the books prior to _When the Sacred Ginmill Closes_.

Best,

Kathy

Katherine Harper
Department of English