RTF FAQ? (Was: RARA-AVIS: Why books are over 200 pages)

ejm duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 13:47:58 -0700 On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, William Denton <buff@vex.net> wrote:

> Michener? Michener!? Why are we talking about Michener and Clancy?
> If this doesn't stop, someone may get slapped. And that means taking
> it and liking it.

<rant>
I don't who or what a 'Michener and Clancy' is, nor do I want to.
This is clearly off-topic and the thread should have been put out its
misery days ago---imho. I think the recent hooh-hah on the list (the
most recent hooh-hah, that is, not the hooh-hah while Bill was on
holiday) really should be the straw that brings the rara-avis FAQ down
on the camel's back.

Apart from the great unresolvables--the watertight definition of 'noir'
and hb--the FAQ can contain a list of dos and don'ts, and list forbidden
topics: all that serial-killer business that we endured a while ago can
be drowned in its own bath water.

The FAQ might even include guidance on setting up a mailing list, so if
there is a need for a serial-killer list, or even a 'Michener and
Clancy' list, or even a Dorothy-L-II, those feeling the need will have
the necessary instructions to go and play together.
</rant>

ED