Re: Re: RARA-AVIS: Why books are over 200 pages

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 18:25:17 -0400 At 06:01 PM 9/7/98 -0400, DiePool@aol.com wrote:

>Again, I gotta say this doesn't apply to Clancy. He does have the technical
>stuff, which I believe HAS to be included in TECHNO-thrillers, but he's also
>got good characters doing some interesting things.

Clancy invented the genre which get's it's name from the content or at the
very least perfected it ... heavy on technology and the technical as
applied to a thriller and the social mechanisms guiding the various
cultures involved ... he even has a rather hard-boiled character, John
Clark ... although Jack Ryan has his moments as well when it comes from the
moral, righteous indignation view ... now I wouldn't try to argue that he's
complex ... he's more along the lines of Carl Sagan in having the ability
to take what is complex and then to communicate in such a way that the not
only the layman can find it interesting, but it doesn't insult the
intelligence of the expert / professional either. But like any genre ...
it's not going to be, nor should it be for that matter, everyone's cup of
tea / coffee / capicino / espresso / glass of cola / Coke / Pepsi / Bargs /
A&W / root beer / diet soda / milkshake / Avian / etc.

----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

"I am an innocent man / Oh yes I am / An innocent man"

- Billy Joel
#