Re: RARA-AVIS: Val McDermid (was: British writers)

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 18:28:55 -0700 Mark Sullivan wrote:

> Mari,
> First of all, why should we care if it's lesbian mystery fiction if it
> well done?
>
> You reminded me I've been meaning to ask about lesbian mysteries. I keep
> seeing all those books in their little ghetto and was wondering which,
> if any, might be good and/or hardboiled. The only thing sort of in that
> area I've read is After Delores by Sarah Schulman, which probably isn't
> that hardboiled but has a kind of noirish setting, and is very good, by
> the way. Plus I've read the Jack Early books by Sandra Scoppettone, but
> none with her lesbian protagonist--are they good, also? So, any other
> suggestions besides McDermid?
>
> Mark
>
> #
> # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
> # The web pages for the list are at http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.

I read that book by Charlotte ?? (sorry the book is at home and I'm here
and only get on Sundays) about "Rooster" it's a Mask Noir so shouldn't
be heard to find; was recommended to me by the local African-American
Book store owner as she knows I like sort of thing. About a girl playing
sax on the streets of New York nd takes a guy in and discovers him dead
the next morning.

Also, it doesn't matter to me whether lesbian or gay fiction, but some
folks it does matter to; therefore, I think you should be warned; just
like I don't like "cutesy" and my friends know that and if they
recommend anything to me they warn me if it is funny. What I see as
funny is not everyone's idea of funny (never saw anything funny about
Evonovich??)

from Mari Hall found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net
#