Re: RARA-AVIS: Haywood

Roger Dowdy (rdowdy@sprintmail.com)
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 07:07:50 -0700 Ned Fleming wrote:

> I think there's a correlation here: The more social workers you have,
> the greater the engine for evil in destroying families. No, I'm not
> talking about battered women's shelters.
Ned,

I'm sorry you have such a pessimistic view of society and social workers.
However, it would seem you have forgotten to account for the larger
context in which you make these assumptions. I'll save the tired
debunking of the "welfare queen" myth but will point out the fact that
the rise in "bastardy" (as you referred to it), regardless of race, on
the whole can be correlated to the changing mores of society and the
breakdown of true communities and not the rise in the number of social
workers. I think you'd find if you spoke to a social worker you'd
discover that their goal is to put themselves out of work and not the
promotion of "bastardy."

My apologies for the off-topic rant. I'll try to contain myself in the
future... (but I can't make any promises).

-Roger

#