Re: RARA-AVIS: _I Spit On Your Grave_ / Film and book

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:07:24 -0700 Etienne Borgers wrote:

> >Reminds me of _I Spit On Your Grave_ which used to be classed as a
> >'video nasty'. A woman is raped and takes revenge on the rapists.
> [snip]
> >ED
>
> This is most probably the B/W film made from the book with same title
> written by Boris Vian, famous French author. He used an alias (Vernon
> Sullivan?- and presented it as a book translated from an American author-
> Vian liked mystification and good practical jokes) and it was quickly
> adapted for film. Vian was treating this as a pastiche/caricature of Noir,
> and the film itself in its form was a pastiche of the French new wave style,
> with deliberate intention to shock.
> I cannot find my references now (I'm moving), but when the film was issued
> in France first, it created immediately a lane of protests, and if I
> remember correctly was banned by the censors for a while.
> Totally Noir detail: Vian died of an heart attack when visioning the rushes
> of this film.
> However as some of you may already know, Vian was a very eclectic creator,
> and innovator in mainstream French literature after WW2; he was a Jazz
> musician as well (trumpet), wrote liberal and protest songs, was a critic
> for music and ... translator of American HB and SF. He was an engineer by
> profession.
>
> E.Borgers
> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384
> HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES

Hmmm... maybe. Lentz's Index to Science Fiction, Horror, and Fantasy
Film and Television Credits lists "I Spit On Your Grave," but only
credits the director, Meri Zarchi. No writer or source material is
referenced. The only other attribution I can find is in John McCarty's
SPLATTER MOVIES, that spells Zarchi's first name as "Meir," and
identifies her as an Israeli. Again, Lentz lists only this film credit
under her name.

Anyone else with a more complete filmography?

... Reed
#