Re: RARA-AVIS: Are you experienced?

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 21:12:28 -0500 (CDT) :

>>Ned Flemimg wrote:
>James Rogers has rightfully thrown the kibosh on all of these personal
>experiences. I apologize for enticing you. Still, I enjoyed the story,
>which I am sure you did not.
>
>--
>Ned Fleming

Didn't mean to sound as snotty as I did. Sorry. It does
remind me though, of something Ellroy said in one of his interviews. The
quote was to the effect that one of the reasons he wrote about violence as
efectively as he does is because he hates it and fears it so much. Anyone
who has ever gotten a really bad beating from a serious person knows that it
is a much more frightening and horrible experience than it is presented in
99.9% of the thriller writers. The mental shake-up is often much worse than
the physical effects and it can sometimes be hard to shake off. Only a few
of the hardboiled school strike me as able to communicate this.

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net

#