Re: RARA-AVIS: Non-US Writers

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:25:34 -0500 (CDT) At 11:36 PM 7/27/98 -0400, Mark wrote:

>Another area of crime novel I would like ot find more of is the con job
>book. I'd say Ross Thomas is probably the master, particularly the Wu
>and Durant books of which Chinaman's Chance is the first. Leonard and
>Thompson have definitely written in this vein. Can anyone recommend any
>other good con game novels? Are there any series following a con man
>besides Wu and Durant?

These take actual wit and cleverness to write. Outside of
Thompson's GRIFTERS and maybe a couple of Westlakes, I can't think of any.
Of course, you have seem Mamet's terrific HOUSE OF GAMES, right?
Never thought of Thomas in this context, though I agree he is a
good writer. I guess I will have to find the title that you mention.

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net

#