RARA-AVIS: decoding "acronyms"

michael david sharp (msharp@umich.edu)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:51:01 -0400 (EDT) These aren't technically acronyms, as acronyms sound like actual words
when you say them (e.g. M.A.D.D. -- Mother's Against Drunk Driving) -- bu=
here in the U.S. at . . . sometime early in the morning, I can't think of
what you call the following if not "acronyms."

IMO=3DIn my opinion

FWIW=3DFor what it's worth

BTW=3DBy the way

ps I just read *Shoot the Piano Player* (Goodis novel, basis for Truffaut
film) and loved it -- I didn't like the Goodis I'd read before this.
Highly recommended. MDS

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Sonia Abecassis wrote:

> Hello
> These discussions are very enlightening, from the perspective of a Fren=
ch hard-boiled fan , I heartily conccur with the opinion expressed ; howe=
ver , would it be possible to use less acronyms or explicit them ? what i=
s IMO, BTW, FWIW ?=20