Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy: thoughts while mowing the grass

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Thu, 28 May 1998 21:57:24 -0500 (CDT) At 02:39 AM 5/29/98 GMT, you wrote:

>I haven't enjoyed Ellroy's last two books (_American Tabloid_ and _My
>Dark Places_), which I regard as the works of a conspiracy nut and
>minor-league pervert.
SNIP
> Sure, the
>writing is intense, sharp, almost supercharged -- and wholly
>unbelievable. To be honest, I should tell you that I'm what Ellroy would
>call a "dyed-in-the-wool right-wing square," and I believe Lee Harvey
>Oswald was a vicious crank acting alone (see Gerald Posner's _Case
>Closed_).
>
>As for _My Dark Places, well, that was an embarrassing revelation of a
>panties-sniffing dope fiend. Yeah, he's pulled himself out of it, at
>least a short ways, but he sees (bills) himself as the
>Calvinist/profligate spawn of hicktown drunk Geneva Ellroy. _MDP_
>strikes me as a sad exercise in ancestor worship, and what Ellroy calls
>"Calvinism" is really hyper-Calvinism, more akin to Islam and fatalism
>than anything else.
>
>I think Ellroy is in serious danger of writing crackpot conspiracy
>literature. I think his next two books, detailing the lives of "the bad
>men of American history" as he calls them, 1963-68 and 1968-73, will
>prove me right, but we'll have to wait and see. Listen to (US)
>late-night radio sometime and you'll see the huge market for conspiracy
>theories. Ellroy knows his market, and he somehow knows how to move it
>upscale enough to make it palatable to the likes of _Time_ magazine.
>
>Ned Fleming

Thanks. The above gave me a chuckle. I haven't yet read AT
or MDP, but I have to admit that his recent interviews have made him seem
like an eccentric self-promoter along the lines of Norman Mailer, Hunter
Thompson and Ernest Hemingway. I can actually see him as a talk radio host.
speaking of minor league perverts, has anyone noticed the recent expose of
conservative intellectual/family values icon Paul Johnson as a flaggeltion
freak?
James

James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net