Re: RARA-AVIS: Crickets and Ghosts was (Booth, Spade, etc.)

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Tue, 26 May 1998 11:22:22 -0500 Frederick Zackel wrote:

> Speaking of wondeful new hard-boiled writers, I truly like Richard Barre.
> I've read all three of his books (The Innocents, Bearing Secrets and his
> new one The Ghosts of Morning) and give him my highest recommendation.

Yes, I read it over the long week-end. Good stuff. He is a writer to
watch. Is like the "old" PI's. I can't stand all the newbie's who have
lots of personal problems and don't keep their minds on business. My
second fave is probably Loren Estleman's Amos Walker.

> fact, the three finest writers to my mind today are Walter Moseley, Jim Sallis and Richard Barre. (Sallis has a new book out from Walker,
> but--ARRGHH!!--I don't remember its name this morning.)

Sallis's is Eye of the Cricket. I love the N'awlins atmosphere in this
series.

All three share a
> love for language, and each one is a master at it. And I'll walk down any
> mean street with any of their PIs.

I know we aren't supposed to say "me, too" so I'll say "ditto".

from Mari Hall found.dead.in.texas@airmail
(catchin' up from not being able to type--almost a month)
#