RARA-AVIS: A New Author Getting Sentimental

Harry Levy (halevy@m1.sprynet.com)
Thu, 21 May 1998 10:14:51 -0400 At 08:59 AM 5/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> relatively normative?
>>a prelapsarian world?
>

>But I agree (I think) about the sentimental streak that underlies much of
>Hardboiled fiction. I think Robert Parker has even gone so far as to call
>most private eye novels (and certainly his and Chandler's) romances (not in
>the Harlequin sense, but in the same sense that the Arthurian legends, the
>Leatherstocking Tales, Ivanhoe, etc. were). The trick in the hardboiled
>novel, of course, is to not let the sentimentality, that allows the hero to
>push on, to override the cynical detachment that allows him to survive.

Kevin,

I'm new to the list and a newly published author (_Chain of Custody_,
Random House). I started out trying to be totally hardboiled, only to
find, to my surprise and delight, how the mix of sentimentality and
self-analysis and cynicism all enhanced the hardboiled. But I am also a
physician, so I really shouldn't have been so surprised!

Regards,
Harry Levy, MD
#