RARA-AVIS: Re: Our Boy Ellroy

Stuart Mayne (SMayne@vecci.org.au)
Wed, 20 May 1998 13:57:16 +1000 It may be the Australian connection with the film version of LA
Confidential, but I thought it was one of the best films out of
Hollywood for an age. I think if you are going to watch a film based on
a book you have to expect that a lot is going to be cut out. A film just
can not hold a novels complexity.

In LA Confidential's case the film succeeded in getting the hard boiled
'feel'; had a compelling plotline/s; and didn't become a vehicle for a
'star' ego. Any fan should be glad that Kevin Costner didn't get his
hands on the project. It was nice to see a film with four 'main' actors
having about as much screen time as each other, and all being integral
to the film's outcome.

Stuart Timothy Mayne
Editor
Melbourne, Australia