Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Our Boy Ellroy

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Wed, 20 May 1998 02:04:18 GMT On Tue, 19 May 1998 20:43:41 -0500, Kevin Smith wrote:

>Hmmmm....just saw L.A. Confidential. Read the book years ago, and after
>going through Nocturnes, I was really looking forward to the film version.
>Gee, these guys were almost likable. While I liked the film, it was hardly
>the blast I'd been expecting.

[snip]

My 80-year-old mother thought it was great. I thought it was pretty much
a yawner -- epic snoresville, as Ellroy might put it -- both times I saw
it. Yeah, I thought I'd missed something the first time, but I didn't.

I'll admit it's slickly done -- some of the scenes with Spacey are
top-notch -- but it certainly didn't cover what the book covered. The
raped Mexican girl (Maria Soto?) was practically overlooked, and the
Walt Dizzy character (Raymond Dieterling) was excised completely. The
"bigness" of the novel was thus chopped off. Pierce Patchett had to
carry the ball, and I'm afraid he had a torn anterior cruciate.

>Mind you, really enjoying a book is almost a guarantee that you'll hate the
>film.

The nice thing about a book is that it has an unlimited budget. A
faithful rendition of "LA Confidential" might have cost more than
"Titanic" . . . well, maybe not.

--
Ned Fleming
#