Re: RARA-AVIS: Reading suggestions

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:17:46 -0600 (CST) At 10:40 AM 3/28/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Three names:
>
>I was surprised to see William Faulkner's name as a nominee for the reading
>list. Opens a side question of whether what's been called "Southern
>Gothic," set typically in small towns and country, is in "our field." If
>so, should we consider folks like Erskine Caldwell and Flannery O'Connor?

I think that LIGHT IN AUGUST is a bit of a stretch, though I
understand the thinking that went into the suggestion, but SANCTUARY strikes
me as bona fide hardboiled....certainly hard to think of a book less
sentimental or more unpleasant in theme.

>Finally, with all the Ellroy fans on the list, why not include one of his?
>Many of us are interested, but have not yet taken the plunge. The title
>should probably be left to those who know his work--maybe it's a question
>of which title you Ellroy fans would be willing to reread.

This works for me. there are several I have not read, notably the
last two "L.A." books, as well as CLANDESTINE, SUICIDE HILL, and BROWN'S
REQUIEM all of which I think are bouncing around here somewhere (keeping
track of my books has never been my strong point).

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net

#