Re: RARA-AVIS: cover art

Mari Hall (found.dead.In.texas@airmail.net)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:07:45 -0600 michael david sharp wrote:

> Dear Rara folk,
>
> I'm looking for suggestions as to what would be the best way to go
> about researching paperback cover art and blurbs from the period 1945-65.
> I'm particularly interested in finding books that a. refer to (directly or
> indirectly) homosexuality, and b. refer to Kinsey or his report. I realize
> this isn't explicitly a "hard-boiled" question, but some hard-boiled
> pbs (esp. pb originals) have these features. Any help you can give would
> be greatly appreciated.

There is a guy named Art Scott who has a slide show of cover art that he
shows occasionally at Bouchercon (and I'm sure other cons) I'm at work
and his address is at home, but I'm sure someone here can answer you
[like James Reasoner], or contact Bill Crider. I would think the people
in San Antonio who put on the "popular culture convention" would have a
source for you.

> Also, does anyone know/like the work of Vin Packer (who wrote
> many, many Gold Medal PBOs)? Vin Packer is also Ann Aldrich (who
> wrote lesbian novels for Gold Medal and, I think, others), and both of
> them are Marijane Meaker (author's "real" name). I believe she wrote more,
> far more books for Gold Medal than any other woman. Anyway, just curious.

You might also contact Bill Crider about this; Also a guy named Bill
Deek from the East Coast area has reviewed these old books at various
times for both Armchair Detective and George Easter's Deadly Pleasures.

#