RE: RARA-AVIS: postmodern noir

Spurlock, Duane (Dspurlock@paulschultz.com)
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 09:44:51 -0500 >Joshua B Lukin wrote:

>Here are some of what I regard as key pre-Auster works with postmodern
>noir agendas. . . .
>Patricia Highsmith: "The Tremor of Forgery"

I'll have to look for this one. I've read "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and
enjoyed it. It's insidious and creeped me out.

>Philip K. Dick: two cop novels, "Flow My Tears the Policeman Said" and "A
>Scanner Darkly"

I've only read one book from Dick: "Do Androids Dream of Electric
Sheep?" It was okay, but I haven't been moved to read another PKD novel,
no matter how much praise I've read about him. He strikes me as one of
those writers with marvelous ideas but whose execution kind of
falters--or at least his style doesn't seem to suit my tastes.

>Leonardo Sciascia, a great "doomed-detective" novelist whom nobody seems
>to have mentioned: "Equal Danger" and "To Each His Own"

I'm not familiar with this person at all. What can you tell us about
him?--Duane

#