RE: RARA-AVIS: catch-up

Spurlock, Duane (Dspurlock@paulschultz.com)
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 09:29:35 -0500 >Levin, Doug wrote:

>D. Raymond, He Died With His Eyes Open;

This is pretty dark stuff, but well written. It's the first of Raymond's
"Factory" series. I give it a thumbs up.

>H. Browne The Taste of Ashes,

Ah, you lucky dog. Someone recommended this to me years ago and I've yet
to find a copy.

> On the other hand, I read another book that I liked
>much more: Philip Kerr's March Violets. Has anyone read this book? It
>has one plot problem and a somewhat weak ending, but otherwise is very
>strong.

_March Violets_ is the first novel in a trilogy Kerr wrote about the
German PI Gunther. I think it runs pre-war, during, and post-war.
Penguin has collected the three novels in an omnibus volume titled, I
think, _Berlin Noir_. I think Kerr also writes about a Russian
detective.

Speaking of German PIs, I just started reading _Happy Birthday, Turk!_
by Jakob Arjouni. It's pretty good so far, but the PI character--Kemal
Kayankaya--drinks like a fish and makes the lush-era Matt Scudder look
like the leader of a temperance society.--Duane
#