RARA-AVIS: The stuff that dreams arwe made of

E J M Duggan (eddie.duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 11:05:05 -0800 On Tue, 2 Dec 1997 Kevin Smith <kvnsmith@total.net> wrote:

>Anyway, who came up with the line about "the stuff that dreams are made of"?
>
>Was it
>
>a) William Shakespeare
>b) Dashiell Hammett
>c) John Huston
>d) Humphrey Bogart
>e) Carly Simon

The credit for the last line of the 1941 film is overwhelmingly
attributed to John Huston. However, in Lawrence Grobel's 1989 biography
of the Hustons, John Huston reveals (admits/confesses?) that while he's
taken the credit for that line for nearly half a century, it was in fact
coined by Bogart, on set.

BTW, the thing that gets me about Huston's film is not how close it is
to the novel, but how close it is to *the other films.*

ED