RARA-AVIS: Detective Fiction Courses

E J M Duggan (eddie.duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Mon, 01 Dec 1997 11:09:17 -0800 On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 17:52:43 michael david sharp <msharp@umich.edu>
wrote:

> to answer your question about enrolment in my
> course on hardboiled fiction: the course filled up FAST.
> The subject sells itself, I think.

Lucky old you --- a 'full class' eh? Over at the BHofK, there ain't no
such thing as a 'full class': if twelve sign up, ya teach 'em; if forty
turn up, ya teach 'em just the same. If there's fewer than twelve, your
likely to get your hours cut. Ho-hum.

But what I'd be interested to know about is what you'll be covering, and
how. Can it really be *just* hardboiled? Do you have course details on
the web? I'd like to see your primary/secondary reading lists.
I'm interested because I'll be running my 'Watching the detectives
module after Crimbo. I've only taught this course once before, a couple
of years ago now, so I haven't ironed out all the creases. I've put the
course details up at http://www.ejmd.mcmail.com/wtdhome.htm> if anyone's
interested.

<muses [off] ... maybe I should finish with Sharman and the recent brit
noir stuff>

ED