Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Total Security, Accountants, Bart Spicer

James & Livia Reasoner (liviajames@itexas.net)
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:44:09 -0500 Kevin Smith wrote:

> Well, I'm glad someone finally agreed with one of my opinions on the
> list. Seems I'm not the only one that likes Total Security. But John,
> since you say you've always liked James Remar, and James seems to agree
> with you, where have I seen him before? He seems alwfully familiar.

Remar was the guy Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy were chasing in the movie 48
Hrs and has been in quite a few other films, none of which I can seem to
think of at the moment.

> By the way, speaking of intense, albeit buttoned-down male TV actors,
> wouldn't it be great if the guy from Millenium dumped that increasingly
> tedious show, and played Thomas Cook's Frank Clemons?

That would work, all right.

> James, you were wondering "But where else are you going to find books
> about a two-fisted, crime-busting Certified Public Accountant?" How
> about David Dodge's Whit Whitney?

I have a few David Dodge books but have never read them. I'll have to
check and see if Whit Whitney is in any of them.

> And speaking of odd job non-PI PI's, how about Spencer Dean's hardboiled
> department store dick Don Cadee, and his tough guy hotel dick Gil Vine?
> Anyone else got some good suggestions for non-traditional PI's?

Another Howard Hunt book I like even better than the Steve Bentley novels
is the appropriately named _Hotel Dick_, as by Gordon Davis. I realize
you've already mentioned hotel detectives, but I wanted to recommend the
Hunt book anyway. And come to think of it, didn't Dan J. Marlowe do a
hotel detective series for Avon before he started the Earl Drake series at
Gold Medal?

James Reasoner,
#